On this page:
- Source List of Key Laws and Policies that Threaten Civil Liberties
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Testimony for the Senate Judiciary Committee (September 2008) by BORDC Director Nancy Talanian (See links to all written testimony for the hearing at Senator Russ Feingold's website)
- Literature & Security: Recommendations for the Next Administration and Congress, a transition document created through collaboration by more than 25 organizations and more than 75 individuals.
- U.S. Public Opinion on Patriot Act and Threats to Civil Liberties (results of surveys)
- Police Opposition to Local Enforcement of Immigration Law (PDF)
- Acton Town Meeting Presentation (PDF), Source: Acton (MA) BORDC
- Defending Our Rights and Freedoms Against Attacks by the USA Patriot Act and Other Government Actions (PDF, 50 pages), compiled by Mike Diehl.
- SPEAKING OUT To Protect Civil Rights and to Reduce Discrimination and Harassment in the Era of the U.S.A. PATRIOT ACT (PDF, 58 pages), the story of the Multnomah County (OR) resolution
- Local Voices: Citizen Conversations on Civil Liberties & Secure Communities, Source: League of Women Voters
- Speech by Richard A. Hesse, Professor of Law Emeritus: The Living Constitution: Does it Work in Modern Times?
- Congressional Research Service report on data-mining: Data
Mining and Homeland Security:
- Two speeches and a Poem by Professor Christopher H. Pyle:
- Text of USA PATRIOT Act
- The "War on Terror" and the Constitution, BORDC's 24-page booklet describing how anti-terrorism policies affect us.
- The PATRIOT Act and American Business, BORDC's new booklet on how businesses can protect themselves and their clients' privacy against illegal government intrusions.
- Resolutions and Ordinances Critical of the USA PATRIOT Act and Other Laws and Policies that Diminish Civil Liberties, a compilation of more than 400 Bill of Rights resolutions passed by states, municipalities, and organizations.
- What's Wrong With the Patriot Act and How to Fix It (PDF), Source: Center for Democracy and Technology
- Resources: Department of Justice
- Voices in Support of the USA PATRIOT Act
- Conservatives Calling for Repeal or Examination of Patriot Act
- Survey of Criminal Justice Experts on USA PATRIOT Act (PDF), Source: Thomson Wadsworth
- Text of Homeland Security Act
- The Homeland Security Act: The Decline of Privacy; the Rise of Government Secrecy (PDF), Source: Bill of Rights Defense Committee, also available as a 16-page booklet
- Leaked text of draft bill, NOT PASSED, except for a few sections attached to other bills.
- Administrative subpoenas for FBI (PDF), Source: Center for Democracy and Technology
- Material Support: Testimony of David Cole Before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary on Constitutional Implications of Statutes Penalizing Support to Terrorist Organizations
- Data Mining: Total Information Awareness and Beyond: The Dangers of Using Data Mining Technology to Prevent Terrorism (PDF), White Paper by Shannon Anderson, BORDC Haywood Burns Fellow 2004
Bill of Rights Day (December 15):
- Rainier, Washington Bill of Rights Day Resolution
- Tacoma, Washington Bill of Rights Day Proclamation
- Tomkins County, New York, Bill of Rights Day Resolution
- Independence Day pamphlet, Source: Pittsfield (MA) Bill of Rights Defense Committee
- Make July 4 the Day to Defend the Bill of Rights!
- July 4, 2003, Celebrations Nationwide
- "Protect Our Bill of Rights": theme of July 4 parade entry
Constitution Day (September 17)
- Resources for Constitution Day
- Resources for K-12 Teachers and Students (includes Constitution Day suggestions)